“If we want to help the child draw nearer to God, we should with patience and courage seek to go always closer to the vital nucleus of things.
This requires study and prayer.
The children will be our teachers if we know how to observe them.”
The Association of the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd Australia exists to:
- Assist the involvement of children and adults in a shared religious experience of listening together to the voice of the Good Shepherd and in which the religious values of childhood predominate, namely contemplation and joy.
This requires a place set apart where children can discover, explore and nurture this relationship, with adults who support and serve them in this place. We call this place the ‘Atrium’.
- To support catechists, parents and others in the church and beyond, as they grow in their understanding of the religious potential of the child.
- To provide the necessary formation as preparation for adults entering into this work with children, in accord with the work of Sofia Cavalletti and Gianna Gobbi.
- To preserve the integrity of this work as agreed by the International Council of the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd.
- To establish and maintain links with the authorities of the Catholic and Anglican Churches of Australia and other denominations represented by the membership.
The Association is committed to supporting the allegiance of
children to their particular faith tradition.